Sunday 19 August 2018

Royal Festival Hall falls down on disability access

Popped into the Royal Festival Hall this evening to use their accessible loo. The one sited on the ground floor opposite the magnificent yellow lift that makes a wonderful noise.

Anyway, got to the adapted toilet and noticed there has been a refurbishment. Trying the door I found the toilet to be locked. Then I spotted this notice on the wall:

 
On calling for assistance I had then to ask my PA to go and find the key to open a door for me to go for a pee. My PA came back with the key and I peed. 

On peeing my PA was about to return the key when I said no, we'll phone the RFH and let them collect the key. When the RFH employee returned to pick up the key I asked whether all the public toilets in the building were locked. She answered no. I informed her that in this case, the RFH was guilty of discriminating against disabled people.

In fairness to the worker, she wasn't able to answer me and deferred us to her manager. Wanting to get home I left. And I intend bringing the issue up with the RFH on Monday.

Locking the toilet is bad enough. The wording on the notice is outrageous. Who advised the RFH on this notice? Whoever it was certainly is certainly no proponent of the Social Model of Disability. The idea that disabled people have 'multiple disabilities' displays a monumental lack of understanding of disability. Then to compound their sins they insist the disabled person must be accompanied by an assistant.

So much for the concept of independence. This means, had I been alone last night, despite being a wheelchair user, with several impairments, I would not fit the RFH's criteria for using the changing places toilet.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tags