Friday 5 October 2018

Pick up your wheelchair and walk I was advised

For me, Labour Party Branch meetings are mostly terra incognita. The underlying reason for my absences from these meetings is the general lack of access. In the first place, meetings don't begin until 7.30 pm. As Thursday is a work day I am physically exhausted by 8-8.30 pm, and running on fumes.

Yesterday evening as I was feeling unusually alert I decided to give the meeting a go. However, on arrival at the venue, I found a 6"+ step barring my access. 

On learning I was outside several of the branch members came outside to discover what was the issue. One kindly gentleman offered to carry me in. "No thanks," I replied "I like to preserve my dignity when I can" I finished, tetchily. 

Ideas such as laying a folded table down to act as a ramp or using a decidedly fragile looking whiteboard to serve the same purpose were proffered. It then transpired that the inner doorway wasn't wide enough to allow my wheelchair to pass.

After some very kind words and profuse apologies all around I departed, homeward bound. 

Back at home, my PA told me that one man, out of earshot from me, wondered why I didn't get out of the chair and enter the building. I'm now wondering, is this stranger a modern-day Jesus? Why didn't he approach me and say "Sean, get up, pick up your wheelchair and walk"? 

2 comments:

  1. Wheelchair Ramps

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was the best advise I think. Moving forward is the rule of life and we all should do it. Using a wheelchair is not weakness I think. Rather the wheelchair is the strength of moving forward and it is the courage of life. Also walking cane is useful to help walking specially for elderly group.

    ReplyDelete

Tags