Tuesday 1 January 2019

Barriers when shopping

"Sorry, Sir, the manufacturer fixes the headphones into place, the lead won't come out any further," explained the PC World shop assistant. 

"That makes it extremely difficult for me as a wheelchair user to try out the product. Can I speak to a manager please?" I politely request.

"Just a moment,” replied the assistant turning on her heel in search of a manager. Meantime I look at other headphones, one or two of which I manage to try on.

"What's the problem, sir?" I'm asked by, what looked like a hard-put-upon young man, who seemed on the defensive.

"Hello," I opened with. "I'd like to try those headphones, please? However, as you can see the cable securing it doesn't reach far enough for me to properly try them on my head and over my ears. It's important that the equipment fits and is comfortable." I explained.

Fiddling with it the manager worked out that the cable was extended to its limit. "Sorry, sir, but this is as far as the cable will reach."

Smiling at the manager I wondered if he was familiar with the Equality Act? In particular his duty under this legislation to offer me a reasonable adjustment.

"You do realise, sir, that we don't put all products on display,” chanced the manager.

"OK then. I won't ask to try those particular products." I batted back.

"Actually, sir, we don't have to display any products."

"OK, take everything from display then," I suggested helpfully.

Although his lips appeared to move the sounds that escaped his throat were not a language with which I was familiar, a lingua incognito.

"Erm...harumph....errrrrr, hmmm, erm..." 

"Give me a minute, sir," mumbled the confused manager as he scooted off rather sharpish.

While he was away, I tried on a number of other headphones, finding one that I was probably going to purchase.

The manager returned, looking like the fish that took the bait without being hooked. Unlocking a nearby cabinet he produced the headphones, unboxed it and handed it to me with a 'you-satisfied-now' attitude.

On trying the headphones, I realised the cups were the wrong shape for my ears. "No, these are not suitable. Thanks." I said pointing to another set of headphones. Before I could explain to the manager that I was able to try them on, he began shaking his head and remonstrating.

"Sir, you can't expect me to open every set of headphones. This particular pair are very expensive, and I won't be able to take them from their box," he finished masterfully.

Somewhat taken aback by the silliness of the man's comment, I explained to him that I was simply asking for equal treatment and that the cost of the product did not give it immunity from the law. 

It's as though as a wheelchair user I can be fed crap and expected to gobble it up while tugging my forelock for the privilege of being treated with contempt.

Shop managers, a word to the wise. You may well build barriers with which to confront me. However, I know how and why the barriers are built. But, more importantly, I am also well versed in the deconstructing of your flimsily built barriers. 

Physical barriers can be removed, got around or scaled. It's the attitudinal barriers that pose greater problems, as well as a completely different set of tools.







    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tags