Tuesday 1 January 2019

My day-to-day fight

Saturday, yesterday, or New Year’s Day,
For me life goes on the just same way
At night I’m up hourly, my sleep’s hit and miss
As my neurogenic bladder forces me to piss.

If it ain’t my weak bladder shattering my kip,
It’s the stabbing spinal pain giving me gyp,
Whether it’s a need to piss or relentless pain,
Everything’s controlled by my bloody brain.

After an exhausting night spent in my bed
I’m still totally knackered, fucking well dead;
And, the thought of a whole day yet to come
Makes me nauseous and uncomfortably numb.

I sit in the bed knackered; I’m barely awake,
Listless and torpid, thinking: “Oh, for fucks sake,
Either pull out your finger or throw in the towel. 
Grab the day by its nuts,” I positively growl.

So, nuts metaphorically clenched in my paw
I very painfully trip towards the bathroom door;
Maybe the shower’s hot and healing effect 
Will make me feel human, a little less wrecked.

Now that I’m toileted, showered, and dressed,
And on the whole feeling a little less stressed,
Looking forward to a little something to eat,
A bowl of porridge and my appetite’s replete.

Preparing and readying me to start my day,
I should give thanks to my hardworking PA,
For putting up with my moaning and gripes,
My support worker has earned her stripes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tags