Tuesday 6 March 2018

Crashing nights lead to flashing lights

Another night; another fall. Following a trip (not literally) to the jakes last night i sat on my hotel bed. Getting back into bed at night after one of my usual 6 or 7 visits to the loo is always a pain. What I mean is that the physical action of getting into bed is very painful. Therefore, I’m wont to sit on the edge of the bed  psyching myself up to lying down.

Therein lies the problem. Due to extreme fatigue I have a tendency to fall asleep. This happened last night. Just before I fell from the bed I experienced that strange ‘out-of-body’ state that I find myself. Here though I’m asleep I am conscious that I am about to fall, but I’m unable to control my body. 
As my body began to tip forward I tried with all my mental might to first pull myself backwards for a soft landing, when this wasn’t happening I tried to gain control of my arms. No luck there, either.
No, my body inexorably began to tilt forwards with my arms hanging limp, useless appendages of no protective use. 
CRASH! 
I landed with a blinding flash as my head hit the floor. 
“FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK...” I groaned as birds circled my splitting head.
Twenty minutes later in excruciating pain I was back in my bed following a titanic struggle of gravity versus pain. I’ve spent today popping pain killers to fend off the extremes of pain in my neck and back.
The moral of this story is that my brain has no control over bodily movement once I switch off my operating system.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tags