Thursday 31 May 2018

Another Meeting. Another Inaccessible Venue.

No, laying down a ramp with a 7 cm lip along the front edge does not make your building accessible or make your venue compliant with regulations. If my wheelchair is unable to climb the 7 cm lip on the ramp, then the ramp serves no purpose other than as a tripping hazard for the ambulatory. 

Answering the front door of a meeting place venue and expecting my PA to drag a heavy plywood board to somehow improve the ramp's accessibility is not on either. Especially when the person opening the doors is deep in conversation on a mobile phone.

We on the Left purport to support equality throughout society. Yet, I'm invited to a politically Left-leaning meeting and I'm confronted with an inaccessible venue.

Thus, when leaving the venue totally pissed off, I was not being rude to Comrades who suggested that I return to the venue to see if anything could be done to resolve the problem. No, I was avoiding more attention being focussed on myself; more of being the attraction instead of merely a member present for a discussion and debate. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tags