Thursday 28 June 2018

Lambeth's policy on disability is "Everything about you without you!"

In December 2016 Lambeth Council made a presentation in ‘We Are 336’. The presentation centred around an Equality Commission that Lambeth was setting up in order to gather the ideas and views of people who are covered by one or more of the protected characteristics. On this occasion they were concentrating on disabled people living in Lambeth.

After introductions, the council representative went through a list people and organisations involved in the project. When she completed the list, I asked if there would be a disabled service user, or a Disabled People’s Organisation, on the commission. ‘No’ was the answer.

Pushing the issue, I asked were they familiar with the disabled peoples’ slogan, “Nothing about us without us!” At which point the organiser of the event asked for the business of the meeting to move on.

After the presentation there was a table by table group of discussions. The discussions were to be linked to the commission and how disabled people could make an input.

There were six tables, and each reported back. In answer to the first question which related to the best was for the commission to interact with Lambeth’s disabled residents, each table made the point of the commission needing service user and ordinary disabled people on the commission. They also felt that a local DPO should have a place on the commission.

In response to these demands the council rep said it would be difficult for them to select disabled people or DPOs. I asked how they arrived at the list of commissioners as presented to us. 

No reply.

Yesterday I was meant to attend an event run by the Lambeth Equality Commission. A few weeks ago, I was called by someone representing the commission. After a somewhat forthright discussion with the rep, during which I gave her my views of the commission, and my reluctance to engage with them, I agreed to Chair a Workshop on ‘Being Counted and Heard’.

When I arrived yesterday I was given an Agenda. The rep I’d received a call from introduced herself and thanked me for coming. When I enquired at which table I’d be chairing I was told that a Lambeth employee was chairing, but I’d have the opportunity to make a contribution.

At this I told her I would not be taking part. Once again Lambeth has missed the point. In the first place I was led to believe that I’d be a keynote speaker, then a chair of one of the workshops. But of course, Lambeth has no control over me and therefore as a disabled person, a Lambeth service user, what the hell would I know about disability-related issues.

Lambeth Council merely pays lip-service to disabled people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tags