Sunday 15 April 2012

"Charity is a cold grey loveless thing"


The recent charity tax law once again holds these practices up to the naked light of public opinion. Richard Murphy, the excellent author of the Tax Research UK Blog appositely quotes Clement Atlee's “Charity is a cold grey loveless thing. If a rich man wants to help the poor, he should pay his taxes gladly, not dole out money at a whim.”

Clem Atlee Post War PM who Brought in the Welfare State and NHS
at a Time when the UK Was in Far Greater Debt Than Today


My sentiments entirely. I recently applied to Motability (a charitable organisation) for financial assistance with a wheelchair hoist for my car (my new chair is heavier than the previous and my PAs are having problems lifting and storing it in the back of the car).

A couple of weeks later I received a telephone call informing me that my application was not successful. When I queried this outcome I was told there was nothing I could do, the decision is final.

I could understand it if I was earning a massive salary (I’m a part-time worker on tax credits); or if I’d bundles of savings (I’ve a couple of thousand saved).

Once again the actions of a charity proving that without full and open accountability these organisations pick and chose worthy recipients of their largesse. Unlike government benefits and schemes that have a properly set down criteria for entitlement and appeals procedures, Motability does not.


http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tags