Saturday 17 June 2017

If a situation gives you concern, it should be reported

Thankfully we can now discuss health and safety without the right-wing media and reactionary political commentators demeaning our fears. Therefore, I’d like to take the opportunity to discuss a possible safety issue where I live.
There is a portion of my street, around 200 meters, over which I have concerns. I live in a residential street. The street is very narrow and lined on one side by three-story social housing with five-story on the other.
As the pavement is quite narrow parking is available in cutaway bays, with no permissible parking on the rest of the road. During the day, Mondays to Fridays, from 8.30 to 16.30 parking rules are heeded. Outside these days and times, they are ignored.
The reason I'm posting this at this time is because of the danger this free-for-all parking poses. A fire in a property in the middle of the street could lead to life-threatening situations.
Most house fires occur at night and over weekends, the very times my street is impassable. During these times, my PAs find it very difficult to negotiate the road in a Peugeot Tepee. Illegally parked cars and vans narrow the road to a perilous width. A fire tender would not be able to pass along the road; an ambulance would struggle.
In an emergency, time is of the essence. The time lost by fire-fighters trying to reach the seat of the fire due to illegally parked cars could be critical, the difference between life and death.
Given my concerns I am going to write to the Angell Town TMO, my landlord NHHG, the Fire Service and the Met. Given the awful tragedy of Grenfell Tower earlier this week I am hoping my concerns will be heeded.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tags